Google

2008-04-13

What You Need to Know About Modern Furniture Reproductions

What You Need to Know About Modern Furniture Reproductions
by Seb Perez
Being a fan of modern design for about a decade- I’ve come across different perspectives on this issue of the reproduction. Personally, I feel that If I had the discretionary cash-such as if I had a net worth of over $1M, I would buy mostly originals (unless I had young children). I’ve heard some designers and corporate execs from design manufacturing firms argue that the “licensed” versions are the “true investment which will maintain and appreciate in value. They’ve argued, somewhat ridiculously I believe if you can’t afford the licensed version-then don’t but it at all. How preposterous-especially for those of us who are not pulling a corporate exec’s salary! Here’s my take on the investment issue.
The investment perspective: If you have the disposable cash to pay $2,200 for an Arco Lamp-it might be a wise investment. Maybe. It’s generally accepted that paying extra for a licensed copy will continue to appreciate in value. There is truth to this but I like to dig a little deeper since this is considered to be one of the main reasons why I should “invest” in a licensed reproduction rather than a copy. It is true that the original will likely appreciate over time however at first, just like a new car driven off the lot, its value will drop. In other words, the same lamp you just bought for $2,200 ($2,354 with 7% sales tax), if you turned around and sold it on eBay-you might get $1,700 for it. A loss of $654-a 27% loss and not a very good return on your investment. Thankfully however, it will rise in value after that initial drop at the approximate rate of inflation all other factors such as supply and demand remaining equal. At a 7% inflation rate, it would take almost 4 years to recover your initial cost. However, wouldn’t the same rate of inflation apply to any asset maintained in good condition and still in demand such as my Arco reproduction purchased for $499? Wouldn’t the savings I realized also appreciate at the same rate in my IRA?
I own reproductions that look fantastic and getting “ewws” and “ahhs” from friends and family for years. My “Nelson Bench” is still holding up my 100lb Plasma TV, my “Saarinen” Marble top table is still an eye-candy for my eyes and a nice place to eat on as well. The ebony finish is still on the base and the glass is still in one piece on my “Noguchi” coffee table. My “Arco” lamp is still lighting my workspace as I write this-and I haven’t so much as needed to change the bulb yet. The combined money I saved by buying good quality reproductions (several thousand dollars by my estimate) is still in my bank earning me interest (actually I probably spent it on my last trip to Cancun) instead of paying some high salary corporate exec (these designers aren’t around anymore). It’s a personal choice but, I ask myself would most buyers really feel better knowing that only a mere 7% of their $8,000 investment in their sofa went to the actual material/labor of a product, while the other 93% went to the licensee's yacht payment -- all for the sake of loyalty? And, if the quantifiable differences between licensed and non-licensed products are marginal, (which in some instances, they probably are, not to mention the cases where the unlicensed versions trump the licensed versions), to what then does a buyer owe his loyalty? It's a fair question, at least in some cases.
Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate their contribution to art and design but, nowadays I’m more concerned with whether the Phillips light bulb I buy will give me what I’m looking for at a price I like than whether Thomas Edison is still getting his share of proceeds. All the patents on their designs have expired and the actual designs of most pieces are now in the hands of the public domain. The “Cons”: Selling “unlicensed” reproductions off as “licensed”. I personally despise dishonest salespeople proportionate to the amount of damage their lies can do. For example, if I buy a “widget” at an electronics store and the guy told me the batteries were included-and I get home and they’re not-I’m pissed but I’ll get over it, maybe even still buy from their store if it conveniences me. However, if a doctor tells me or leads me to believe that surgery will alleviate the pain in my knee and after the surgery, the limping and the rehab-it still hurts- then I REALLY feel betrayed, angry and violated (sorry I’m getting a little of topic). Point is that I personally don’t condone any dishonesty in this industry. Most of the people that I meet that have a mutual affinity towards MCM (mid-century modern), know all about the licensed and unlicensed reproductions. Every customer I’ve ever dealt with knew they were buying a reproduction. I suspect there are dealers who may be selling the fakes off as originals but, personally I think the line is pretty clear between the two. In addition to the occasional dishonest dealer posing fakes as authentic there is the bigger issue of the varying quality and materials being used in unlicensed reproduction:
Quality variation: The variance of quality with the unlicensed reproduction is undoubtedly a subject of considerable concern since not all reproductions are created equal. This is why the franchise principal is so successful- you always know what you’re going to get even if it’s a nutritionally void 2,000 calorie burger or a ridiculously over-priced cup of coffee. At least you know what you’re gonna get and you can depend on that. People like that and are willing to pay for it. When you buy a licensed reproduction-you know what you’re gonna get- at least most of the time. However, once you step out of the fancy Designer Furniture stores and decide to buy a more affordable unlicensed reproduction-it’s no longer a sure thing as to what you’re going to wind up with. I’ve come to find that there are good reproductions and poor ones just as there are unscrupulous dealers and those with integrity and good decent knowledgeable service. I have found reproductions of an “egg” chair that had its upholstery start to unglue itself, the legs broke off and the foam core deformed easily. Other items may be lopsided and something is skewed, the measurements are off, the material choices are poor quality, the steel rusts, the fabric tears, the plywood shows saw marks on the wood. I have seen other reproductions that are virtually unidentifiable from the licensed version and will maintain their look and feel for many years to come. In my opinion, it is of critical importance when considering the purchase of an unlicensed reproduction to carefully inspect personally (or by knowledgeable friend) the quality of the stitching, the symmetry of the lines from 360 degrees, the quality of the steel and all other materials used, the reputation of the dealer (you should always check the betterbusinessbureau.com for complaints) to name a few. I believe with a little know how and caution, you can find the look you’re after without having to break the bank. You don’t have to be made of money anymore to have a great looking home. I hope that you consider our reproductions in your quest to decorate your home with affordable Mid-Century Modern Classics.
Sebastian Perez, Owner- NJModern, LLC WWW.NJMOD.COM
Sebastian is the proprietor of NJModern Furniture in Palisades Park, NJ and has been a fan of Modern Design since childhood. He has traveled the globe in search of the finest in craftsmen and materials and compiled the very best affordable Mid-Century Modern Design Furniture. We hope you enjoy our article.
Sebastian
WWW.NJMOD.COM

No comments: